Kenya AB Kamoini (Fairtrade)
|Bag Weight||60 KG BAG|
About This Coffee
Kamoini wetmill is part of Othaya Farmers’ Cooperative Society Limited, one of a few washing stations or “factories” that form the coop group based in the heartland of Kukuyu territory, Nyeri. The mill processes an average of 270,000kg of coffee cherries per year sourced from 719 farmers. The total farmed area is 310.9 acres with individual trees yielding between 5 and 10kg of cherries per season.
|Subregion||Nyeri, Central Highlands|
|Producer Type||Washing Station|
|Co-Op||Othaya Farmers Co-operative Society|
|Variety||Batian, Ruiru 11, SL28, SL34|
|Coffee Grade||KEN CA WA AB|
|Certifications||FLO Fairtrade Certified|
|Bag Weight||60 KG BAG|
|Bag Types||Grain Pro / Ecotact|
Nyeri County has cool temperatures and fertile central highlands, lying between the Eastern base of the Aberdare (Nyandarua) Range, which forms part of the Eastern end of the Great Rift Valley, and the Western slopes of Mt. Kenya. Nyeri town (county headquarters) acts as a destination for those visiting Aberdare National Park and Mt. Kenya.
The combination of fertile soil, seasonal rainfall and high altitude provide the ideal climate for coffees characterised by high acidity, full body and ripe fruit flavours. Due to the cool temperatures at altitude, particularly at night time, coffees from Nyeri tend develop and mature slowly producing very dense, hard beans high in acidity and complexity.
The coffee is wet processed, where the fully ripe cherries are:
• Fermented for 12 - 48 hours (depending on climatic conditions)
• Dried slowly over 2 - 3 weeks on raised African beds until the moisture content is reduced to 10-12%.
The coffee is then processed at Othaya dry mill where it is rested in parchment for 3 weeks before being hulled, cleaned and graded by bean size. Finally, the coffee is carefully handpicked before being bagged in GrainPro for export from Mombasa.
- Status Spot
- Subregion Nyeri, Central Highlands
- Producer Type Washing Station
- Wet Mill Kamoini
- Processing Washed
- Bag Types Grain Pro / Ecotact
- Certifications FLO Fairtrade Certified
- Plant Species Arabica
- Variety Batian, Ruiru 11, SL28, SL34
- Coffee Grade KEN CA WA AB
- Min Growing Altitude 1650m
- Max Growing Altitude 1800m
- Screen Size 15/16
- Origin Kenya
- Warehouse Vollers Group Uk
- Co-Op Othaya Farmers Co-operative Society
- On Sale No
- Top Lot No
- CTRM Contract Number P8001689-1
- Price Per Kg £8.50