Kenya Washed AA Karuthi
|Bag Weight||60 KG BAG|
About This Coffee
Karuthi wetmill is part of Othaya Farmers’ Cooperative Society Limited, one of a few washing stations or “factories” that form the coop group based in the heartland of Kukuyu territory, Nyeri. The mill processes coffee cherries sourced from 378 farmers. The total farmed area is 82.8 acres with individual trees yielding between 5 and 10kg of cherries per season.
|Subregion||Nyeri, Central Highlands|
|Producer Type||Washing Station|
|Co-Op||Othaya Farmers' Cooperative Society Ltd.|
|Variety||Batian, Ruiru 11, SL28, SL34|
|Coffee Grade||KEN CA WA AA TOP|
|Screen Size||18 Up|
|Soil||Well drained red volcanic soils rich in phosphorus|
|Bag Weight||60 KG BAG|
|Bag Types||Grain Pro / Ecotact|
Nyeri County has cool temperatures and fertile central highlands, lying between the Eastern base of the Aberdare (Nyandarua) Range, which forms part of the Eastern end of the Great Rift Valley, and the Western slopes of Mt. Kenya. Nyeri town (county headquarters) acts as a destination for those visiting Aberdare National Park and Mt. Kenya.
The combination of fertile soil, seasonal rainfall and high altitude provide the ideal climate for coffees characterised by high acidity, full body and ripe fruit flavours. Due to the cool temperatures at altitude, particularly at night time, coffees from Nyeri tend develop and mature slowly producing very dense, hard beans high in acidity and complexity.
The coffee is wet processed, where the fully ripe cherries are:
• Fermented for 12 - 48 hours (depending on climatic conditions)
• Dried slowly over 2 - 3 weeks on raised African beds until the moisture content is reduced to 10-12%.
The coffee is then processed at Othaya dry mill where it is rested in parchment for 3 weeks before being hulled, cleaned and graded by bean size. Finally, the coffee is carefully handpicked before being bagged in GrainPro for export from Mombasa.
- Subregion Nyeri, Central Highlands
- Producer Type Washing Station
- Wet Mill Karuthi
- Processing Washed
- Bag Types Grain Pro / Ecotact
- Plant Species Arabica
- Variety Batian, Ruiru 11, SL28, SL34
- Screen Size 18 Up
- Co-Op Othaya Farmers' Cooperative Society Ltd.
- Soil Well drained red volcanic soils rich in phosphorus
- On Sale No
- Top Lot Yes
- Price Per Kg £8.95
- Status Spot
- Coffee Grade KEN CA WA AA TOP
- CTRM Contract Number P8001296-6
- Origin Kenya
- Warehouse Vollers Group Uk