Kenya AA Gichichi
|60 KG BAG
About This Coffee
This Kenya AA lot is from Gichichi wetmill, one of a few washing stations operated by Othaya Cooperative Society Limited based in Othaya in Nyeri county. For this lot, Gichichi worked with 341 local small holder farmers who cultivate small farms, typically small plots of land around their home. The farms in this subregion range up to 1,950masl in altitude, while Gichichi itself sits at an impressive 1,900masl, perfect cool conditions for arabica production and processing.
|Nyeri, Central Highlands
|Othaya Farmers’ Cooperative Society Limited
|Batian, Ruiru 11, SL28, SL34
|KEN CA WA AA TOP
|60 KG BAG
|Grain Pro / Ecotact
Nyeri County has cool temperatures and fertile central highlands, lying between the Eastern base of the Aberdare (Nyandarua) Range, which forms part of the Eastern end of the Great Rift Valley, and the Western slopes of Mt. Kenya. Nyeri town (county headquarters) acts as a destination for those visiting Aberdare National Park and Mt. Kenya.
The combination of fertile soil, seasonal rainfall and high altitude provide the ideal climate for coffees characterised by high acidity, full body and ripe fruit flavours. Due to the cool temperatures at altitude, particularly at night time, coffees from Nyeri tend develop and mature slowly producing very dense, hard beans high in acidity and complexity.
The coffee is wet processed, where the fully ripe cherries are:
• Fermented for 12 - 48 hours (depending on climatic conditions)
• Dried slowly over 2 - 3 weeks on raised African beds until the moisture content is reduced to 10-12%.
The coffee is then processed at Othaya dry mill where it is rested in parchment for 3 weeks before being hulled, cleaned and graded by bean size. Finally, the coffee is carefully handpicked before being bagged in GrainPro for export from Mombasa.
- Subregion Nyeri, Central Highlands
- Producer Type Washing Station
- Processing Washed
- Bag Types Grain Pro / Ecotact
- Plant Species Arabica
- Variety Batian, Ruiru 11, SL28, SL34
- Min Growing Altitude 1800m
- Co-Op Othaya Farmers’ Cooperative Society Limited
- On Sale No
- Top Lot No
- Price Per Kg £8.50
- Status Spot
- Coffee Grade KEN CA WA AA TOP
- CTRM Contract Number P8002050-9
- Origin Kenya
- Warehouse Vollers Group Uk